New Club Jackets

New club jackets can now be ordered from Linda. There are two designs – a thin running “training” jacket and a thicker softshell version. They will be made by Bryzos – previously known as Siven – who have supplied many events and clubs in the past.

The jackets will be subsidised and the prices for the initial order are below. There will be future orders, but prices may change as the club has to buy the jackets in Euros and there is considerable scope for exchange rate variation, so book early to avoid disappointment! The first order should be made in October to get the jackets before Christmas.

Sizing information is here. Linda has a sample Radius (M) and Trace (L) which you can try (not in the club colours).

TRACE training jacket – Adult £15, Junior (U16) £10

trace-jacket

RADIUS softshell jacket – Adult £40, Junior (U16) £35

radius-jacket

Chairman’s Thoughts on the AGM

On the Friday 23rd September we’ll be having the prizegiving for the 2015/16 Club League at the Green Hut on Beckwith Avenue, starting at 7pm. The prizegiving will be followed  by our Annual General Meeting where we’ll have a number of quite significant items to discuss as well as the usual reports and election of officers.

We’ll be discussing the format of the Club League itself, for which a draft proposal has been issued with the agenda, but basically we’re suggesting that it is limited to Claro events only, but covering all of our Level C events (including night and urban events) as well as two of our spring evening events. That’s just seven rounds in total and we’d be thinking of counting the best five results. We also want to talk about the classes and awards.

We want to have a discussion at the AGM about the future of Clarion. It dates back to a pre-internet, pre-website, pre-Weekly, age and its production takes a disproportionate amount of volunteer time to produce material that is often duplicated elsewhere or is historic. We want to talk about alternative ways of keeping you all informed.

We expect to have a lively discussion about subscriptions this year but we have to recognise a difficulty of timing. Your subscription is made up of two components, a club element and a fee payable to British Orienteering; it’s all collected by BO as a single payment. However many of you will know that BO will not be deciding their component until they hold an Exceptional General Meeting at the end of October, their first proposal for a large increase having been tactically withdrawn earlier in the year in the face of fierce opposition from members. The signs are that BO will have a revised proposal but still seeking a marked uplift from its present figure. Claro committee is minded to use some of its reserves to mitigate the effect of that likely increase but we won’t be able to give precise figures at the time of the AGM, rather we’ll be seeking your support for a decision in principle so that committee can act very quickly once the BO figures are known.

At the AGM our treasurer, Linda, is likely to report a lot of good news in terms of healthy finances. I won’t steal her thunder but our current position should allow support for membership fees as well as a number of initiatives the committee has in mind. We intend to review some of our historically used venues, dropped in leaner financial times, to see if they could be resurrected and perhaps professionally remapped. We want to offer a more generous subsidy to club clothing, to revamp the trophies that we give for the Claro League and perhaps consider funding towards a group event such as the 2017 CompassSport Cup. Plenty there to talk about so please do come to the prizegiving and AGM; oh yes, there’s refreshments too.

The coming of the AGM means that it is likely to be my last as the club’s constitution limits the chairperson’s term to three years. I took on the post when I had only 18 month’s orienteering experience and I’ve learned a lot since – even if my navigation hasn’t got any better. My thanks to the officers and members of the committee who’ve supported me over the last three years and particularly to the club members out there for your enthusiasm and involvement. I hope to see many of you at the AGM, at Harlow Hill or at the Wednesday evening Autumn series of ‘LampO’ events.

Stan

Autumn Events

Provisional details are now up for our first major event of the year, at Harlow Hill and RHS Harlow Carr on Sunday 25th September 2016. It is part of the Yorkshire Superleague for 2016, which has three more events to run.

Also now up are provisional details for the Autumn Street O (LampO) – Series.  We need people to plan, and people to turn up and run, so please get involved! Early events are often more popular while the nights are still light.

New Season begins

It’s time to kick off the new season after the traditional summer break. Plans are well under way and dates for the Junior League and Autumn Street O series will be announced shortly. The first CLARO event is just over 3 weeks away on Sunday 25th September at Harlow Hill. It is likely that the Club League will be changed this year as the current format is failing to attract many competitors. It will be discussed at the AGM, so if you want your say then please come along on Friday 23rd September. In the meantime, the What’s On list has been updated as far as Christmas with known events, so start putting some in your diary and dust off those O shoes.