Claro Top 10s
Well done to the Claro Top 10s this week. Apart from those who were on tour, Liz Rochester and James Corfield were 2nd and 3rd on the Beginners course at Conyngham Hall, Toby Rochester was 1st and Leo Hicks 3rd on the short, David Day was 2nd, Lois Parker 3rd, Allen Barnes 4th, Owen Taylor 8th, and David Rochester 10th on Medium and on long Matthew Rochester was 5th and Luke Parker 7th. Congratulations must go to Jemima Parker who according to the BO results came 16th and 25th but aged a year in the process, this is why you should make sure BO have your correct dibber number and not swap dibbers. David Day was also 9th in Saturdays NYMBO at Slingsby and 2nd M60.
Claro On Tour
In addition to the top 10s in Knaresborough, 2 intrepid Claros ventured further afield and both scored top 10 results one even made the podium.
Bilbao in Ruth’s words: It was fabulous. Torrential rain as we arrived on Friday – they have an entire umbrella culture so excited by their rain are these Bilboans. Despite the threatening forecast we were blessed with a dry and mild weekend, even if it was still cloudy.
Saturday evening was a crazy, fast sprint in a city park – mad fun and so easy to mess up. My winning time was 11.27mins!
Sunday morning was the main urban race around the city; basically excellent with just the forbidden road crossings caused stress and distress – there was undoubtedly some cheating going on with ‘impossible’ splits turning up. Ah well. Delighted with 2nd place and that I’m running well at the moment.
Meanwhile in Venice Tim Evans came 7th in the Night sprint in 22m 7s, 11th in the middle on the Sunday finishing 8th overall. Orienteering in Venice is great fun with some very technical route choices as swimming the canals is not allowed. and many of the alleys stop at the waters edge with no bridge. The map for Sunday streets likely to be crowded shaded in pink to warn you. The model event on the Saturday afternoon had pin punches rather than SI which was a new experience . Both runners said it was well worth the trip and perhaps more Claros will venture abroad in future years.
Next Claro Events
The next Claro weekend event is on Sunday 19th it is the Regional event ( Level C) at Swinsty and Beecroft, details here . If you can Richard is desperate for some help with the car parking please e-mail him at
- Wed 15 Nov – CLARO Autumn Leaves 5 Knaresborough
- Sat 18 Nov – CLOK Local autumn Short Race Ropner Park
- Sun 19 Nov – CLARO Level C Swinsty and Beecroft
- Wed 22 Nov – AIRE Night Score league Chapel Allerton
- Sat 25 Nov – CLARO Junior League 2 Hookstone Woods
- Sat 25 Nov – SYO Level C Night Orienteering Ecclesall Woods
- Sun 26 Nov – SYO Level C Ecclesall Woods
- Wed 29 Nov – MLN Laver Banks Ripon
- Wed 29 Nov – CLARO Autumn Leaves 6 Harrogate Town Centre
- Sat 2 Dec – CLOK Local Autumn League Yarm School
- Sun 3 Dec – AIRE Level C Middleton Woods Ikley
- Sun 3 Dec – PFO Level C Tockholes
- Sun 3 Dec – NOC Level C Nottingham Urban
- Wed 6 Dec – AIRE Baildon Night Score
- Sat 9 Dec – NYMBO winter league round 2 Thornton Watlass
- Sat 9 Dec – HALO YHOA night League Level C Beverley Westwood
- Sun 10 Dec – HALO Level C Beverley Westwood
- Sun 10 Dec – DVO Level B Eyam Moor and Bretton Clough
- Wed 13 Dec – AIRE Night Score Guisley and Tranmere Park
- Sun 17 Dec – SYO Level C Totley and Blacka Moor YHOA Super league
If you are aware of any events I have missed please drop me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Autumn Leaves 2017
The next series of the popular LampO events on Wednesday evenings in Harrogate and Ripon continue. We hope to see you there! Fifth event is this Wednesday 15th November starting and finishing at the castle courtyard Knaresborough. HG5 8AS. Full details are here. Registration is from 6:15pm mass start at 6:30pm Cost is £2 Senior £1 Junior, HV /reflective clothing must be worn, torch essential along with pen/pencil. Can we beat last week’s record turnout of 19 runners who all visited every control although only 2 got them all right!