Claro top 10s
Claro runners and riders were in action over the weekend. The following Top 10’s were achieved. At Brighouse Mike Cope was 8th on the Green, In the lakes at Graythwaite east on day 1 Ruth Ker was 1st on Green . In Grandola Tim Evans was 4th on the medium and 6th in the Long .
Also running were Allen and Jackie Barnes at Hardwick Hall, Sharon Bowes and Richard Kirk at Brighouse and Mike Hind, Liz Potterton and Susan Birtwistle in The Lakedistrict 2 days
- Sat 21 Apr – NYMBO MTBO Round 1 Cropton Forest 3 hour score
- Sat 21 Apr – HALO UKOL Thirsk Urban Limited EOD
- Sun 22 Apr – EBOR Northern Championships WassLimited EOD
- Wed 25 Apr – AIRE Cragg Hill and Hawksworth Wood
- Sun 29 Apr – SYO Regional West Haigh and New Park Spring
- Sun 29 Apr – CLOK Regional Hutton Lowcross
- Wed 2 May – CLARO Local SpringO 2 Jacob Smith Park
- Sun 6 May – AIRE Regional Kippax Urban ( part of YUL)
- Wed 9 May– AIRE Local Spring League Golden Acre Park
- Sat 12 May– CLARO Junior league Jacob Smith Park
- Sun 13 May– EPOC Regional Oakwell Hall Yvette Baker heat
- Wed 16 May– BAOC Woodthorpe
- Wed 16 May – CLARO Spring Flowers 3 Killinghall Moor
- Sat 19 May – NYMBO MTBO round 2 Nidderdale 3 hour Score
- Sun 20 May – PFO Regional Brun Valley
If you are aware of any events I have missed please drop me an e-mail at email@example.com
Spring Flowers 2018
No sooner have the winter blues subsided that we start to think of the next series of events the Spring Flowers. These will be like last year with limited SI boxes. . We are also looking to have a meet up after each event. If you missed the first event results are here. The Next event is Wednesday 2nd May at Jacob Smith park, afterwards at the Mitre.
2 2 May 18 Jacob Smith Park/NW Knaresborough Mike Cope
3 16 May 18 Killinghall Moor, Harrogate Allen Banister
4 30 May 18 Harlow Hill, Harrogate Tim Evans
5 13 June 18 Conyngham Hall, Knaresborough Toby & Liz Rochester
6 27 June 18 Brimham Rocks Liz Potterton
British Mixed Sprint Relays
NATO are organising 2 events on the 9th and 10th June in Morpeth details are here. The first event is on Saturday afternoon and is the British mixed sprint relay. We already have one team and we would like a few more, teams are of 3 people and must have at least one man and one woman. If you are interested please can you e-mail Ruth so she can collate teams. As agreed at the latest committee meeting the club will contribute to the entry fee.
British Orienteering Incentives
Congratulations to all those Claro members who have received BOF awards this year.
Full details of the scheme are on the BOF website here.
|Lois Parker||Racing Challenge: Bronze Award||05/02/2018|
|Racing Challenge: Gold Award||09/01/2018|
|Racing Challenge: Silver Award||09/01/2018|
|Racing Challenge: Bronze Award||09/01/2018|
|Racing Challenge: Bronze Award||19/02/2018|
We all make mistakes and this is how experience is gained. Two Claros have shared their learning experiences from the weekend.
North and South are not interchangeable, and if you are going to make this 180 degree error , it is best not to make it on a large Lake district fell by running down it at speed. This resulted in a 17 minute split for Ruth Ker. Meanwhile in Portugal your newsletter editor took the wrong path out of a complex junction , decided the compass was wrong and the Orienteer in the Swedish top must be right and ended up having to relocate with a split of 37 minutes.
Above right is the leg off the M60 map ( it is 9-10 on M55 and we had a 1:15,000 map) and above left is my GPX trace showing the compass was not wrong . The thin blue line was a two foot deep torrent following the overnight rain. I knew I was back on the map as other riders appeared but I couldn’t work out where.
The newsletter editor welcomes other learning experiences.